I had a problem where Gradle was overriding the version of a dependency of one of my explicitly specified libraries with a version from an indirect dependency of a different library.
I used the “dependencies” task to debug it - and it did show me that my library was being overridden.
But that’s where I got stuck. I couldn’t figure out why Gradle was overriding the dependency.
Is there any way to get Gradle to show me what caused a dependency version to be overridden?
The only way I could see to do that would be to manually trawl through all the dependencies looking for any library, or transitively included library that specified a direct dependency to the overriding version. That’s not very practical.
Here is a link to the Stack Overflow question that I posted to try and diagnose the problem, it has a more detailed description of the specific issue I was trying to debug: https://stackoverflow.com/questions/46986401
I just found Peter’s answer to a similar question here: https://stackoverflow.com/a/21314145/924597
That answer explicitly says “answering this question is the whole point of the dependencyInsight task”.
Here is a link to the result of running the dependencyInsight task on my project: https://bitbucket.org/snippets/shorn/EqaXRg
It looks the same as the output of the
dependencies task to me.
I also tried
./gradlew :api-svc:dependencyInsight --configuration compile --dependency jooq, which gave:
project :api-svc:jooq \--- compile org.jooq:jooq:3.9.5 (selected by rule) org.jooq:jooq:3.10.1 -> 3.9.5 \--- project :api-svc:jooq \--- compile BUILD SUCCESSFUL in 2s 1 actionable task: 1 executed