Host gradle wrapper distributions in public maven repository, have gradlew retrieve from repository based on version

I came across a thread a while ago about hosting maven binaries on a public nexus repository (see: http://forums.gradle.org/gradle/topics/host_gradle_wrapper_distributions_on_maven_central). I am not sure why the decision was made to not pursue this, but I think publishing binaries to a public repository in addition to allowing gradlew to fetch the binaries from a repository would certainly make things easier for your enterprise users.

Instead of the full URL that is used today within gradlew, it would be nice if we could specify a base repository URL. This would allow us to point gradlew to an external public repository or perhaps a privite corporate mirror to obtain gradle for us.

Thoughts?

> Instead of the full URL that is used today within gradlew, it would be nice if we could specify a base repository URL. This would allow us to point gradlew to an external public repository or perhaps a privite corporate mirror to obtain gradle for us. 

Many people do this today, but they do have to populate the Nexus/Artifactory with the Gradle runtime manually.

Making it possible to “proxy an upstream” for the wrapper is on our todo list.

1 Like