Gradle-base-services-groovy not published to repo or in dependency tree

(Michael Ekstrand) #1

‘gradle-core’ depends on a class in ‘gradle-base-services-groovy’ (‘org.gradle.api.specs.AndSpec’), but this artifact is not available from http://repo.gradle.org or listed as a dependency of ‘gradle-core’ (for Gradle 1.6).

(Peter Niederwieser) #2

How are you affected by this?

(Michael Ekstrand) #3

It’s probably a somewhat odd situation, but I using Maven to develop a Gradle plugin.

We’re migrating our end-user tooling to be a plugin (and front-end if necessary) for Gradle rather than an ad-hoc collection of our own stuff, but the project itself is built with Maven and we don’t particularly want to rewrite its build system right now. So I am trying to use Maven to fetch the necessary dependencies to write a Gradle plugin, and the absence of gradle-base-services-groovy means that Maven cannot compile my Gradle plugin.

(Michael Ekstrand) #4

I have worked around this issue by putting a repackaged Gradle JAR in my local Maven repository, but this issue may affect publishing to Central.

(Peter Niederwieser) #5

The current expectation is that Gradle plugins are built with Gradle, and that their POMs don’t declare any Gradle dependencies. (Gradle is effectively a ‘provided’ dependency). As far as I understand, the goal is to publish the wrapper and tooling API to repo.gradle.org, not necessarily the plugin API.

Nevertheless, thanks for the pointer that ‘gradle-base-services-groovy’ isn’t published to repo.gradle.org. This may be an oversight, and I’ll take it back to the team.

(Michael Ekstrand) #6

That is an understandable expectation — trying to build a plugin for a build system with a different build system is, admittedly, a somewhat strange goal.

(Jesper Skov) #7

Actually, we use Gradle to build plugins and have the same problem.

Previously, my build logic would inject the jars of the gradle-running-the-scripts into the classpath.

But I’m working on migration from 1.0-milestone-3 to 1.6, so I need to compile the plugins against another Gradle version than the one running the build. And so I use the repository-provided artifacts as provided dependencies.

I guess I’ll have to hack it a bit, and force-feed it the gradle-base-services-groovy jar.