Export JAVA_HOME=/usr/lib/jvm/default-java in gradle shell script

I confess I am a desperate noob with both gradle and linux, but after having trouble getting gradle to run I discovered that the problem was the line

export JAVA_HOME=/usr/lib/jvm/default-java

in the gradle shell script (gradle 1.4)

This seems a bit presumptuous (my JDK installed to /usr/lib/jvm/java-7-oracle). Surely the script should presume the user sets their JAVA_HOME variable as they see fit, or at least check if its set, and if not then try a default value.

I’ve fixed it for now, but am I going to have to hack the script again when I update my Gradle version?

Thanks

Which Gradle shell script are you referring to? I can’t find any occurrence of ‘export’ in either the ‘gradle’ or the ‘gradlew’ script.

gradle --version

-------------------------- --------------------------------- Gradle 1.4 ---------------------------- --------------------------------

Gradle build time: Monday, 9 September 2013 20:44:25 o’clock UTC Groovy: 1.8.6 Ant: Apache Ant™ version 1.9.2 compiled on July 14 2013 Ivy: non official version JVM: 1.7.0_45 (Oracle Corporation 24.45-b08) OS: Linux 3.11.0-14-generic i386

I installed it using apt-get. Is that wrong? I now see on the Gradle website the latest install is 1.9

The offending code in the gradle script in more context:

CLASSPATH=$APP_HOME/lib/gradle-launcher-1.4.jar
  #export JAVA_HOME=/usr/lib/jvm/default-java
  # Determine the Java command to use to start the JVM.
if [ -n "$JAVA_HOME" ] ; then
    if [ -x "$JAVA_HOME/jre/sh/java" ] ; then
        # IBM's JDK on AIX uses strange locations for the executables
        JAVACMD="$JAVA_HOME/jre/sh/java"
    else
        JAVACMD="$JAVA_HOME/bin/java"
    fi
    if [ ! -x "$JAVACMD" ] ; then
        die "ERROR: JAVA_HOME is set to an invalid directory: $JAVA_HOME

Recent Grade versions don’t have this export statement. So either this was a problem with 1.4 that has meanwhile been fixed, or the export statement was added by another party (e.g. the party maintaining the apt package).

Thanks for your help Peter.

add symbolic link

sudo ln -s /usr/lib/jvm/java-7-oracle /usr/lib/jvm/default-java