Exec task and killing processes?

(Marcel Overdijk) #1

I’m looking at integrating Grunt with Gradle by using the exec task.

Basically I’m trying to call this from Gradle: cmd /c grunt --no-color watch

If I run the above command it runs node.exe on my machine. As this Grunt task watches for particular file changes the process will not end. As soon as I hit Ctrl-C the command ends and also the node process is killed automatically.

When I run something similar from Gradle using the exec task:

task grunt(type: Exec) {

commandLine = [“cmd”, “/c”, “grunt”, “–no-color”, “watch”] }

I can run the programm successfully. The Gradle task keeps running as the actual Grunt task is doing that as well.

Now the problem arises when I Ctrl-C the running Gradle task. Gradle stops it task, however the node process keeps running…

Any ideas if there is a way to kill it?

(Jay Berkenbilt) #2

I’m running into essentially the same issue. I’m experimenting with using gradle as a wrapper around some other build tools during a migration process, and I’m having gradle actually invoke ant using exec { … }. If I CTRL-C the gradle process, on Windows, the ant process continues to run but with its output going into a black hole. On Linux, where CTRL-C sends SIGINT to the process group, both gradle and the ant process terminate.

(Jay Berkenbilt) #3

It’s worth noting that running ant from ant in this particular way exhibits the same behavior.

<project>
  <target name="build">
    <exec executable="cmd">
      <arg value="/c"/>
      <arg value="ant"/>
      <arg value="-f"/>
      <arg value="build/build.xml"/>
      <arg value="dev"/>
    </exec>
  </target>
</project>

(dev) #4

Any suggestions on the best way to achieve this?

(Luke Daley) #5

No way to do this from within Gradle currently. You’ll have to use ProcessBuilder to launch the process and then you can use destroy().