Example of implicit task dependencies through task input/outputs?

Can someone provide an example or reference to an example that shows how to make a task dependent on the output of another task?

As an example, suppose I have one task A that unzips a dependency into a directory. I then have another task B that copies some files out of that directory. Rather than explicitly making task B depend on A, it’s my understanding that tying the input of task B to the output of task A implicitly forms a dependency and also take better advantage of which tasks are considered up-to-date.

For some reason, I’m having trouble finding the right google search terms to find an example of this.

I know I saw Hans demo this in one of his Gradle talks.

thanks in advance.

Doug

If the input property accepts a ‘FileCollection’, you can use ‘inputProperty = otherTask.outputs.files’. In case of ‘Copy#from’, ‘from otherTask’ should also work.

This is great, thanks Peter. I noodled on this some more after submitting the question and stumbled upon the same answer as well. This just worked:

(Note this is a contrived example and not exactly what I’m using this for…

task unpackConfig(type: Copy, dependsOn: configurations.config) {
  from zipTree(configurations.config.singleFile)
  into "${buildDir}/config-src"
}
  task generateRuntimeConfig(type: Copy) {
  from tasks.unpackConfig
  into "${targetConfigDir}"
}
gradle clean genConfig
:clean
:unpackConfig
:generateConfig
  BUILD SUCCESSFUL

Very cool. Thanks.

‘tasks.’ can be omitted, if you want. ‘zipTree(…)’ should be wrapped in curly braces so that the configuration doesn’t get resolved at configuration time. Instead of ‘into “${targetConfigDir}”’, ‘into targetConfigDir’ should be used.