Download dependency as part of custom task

Is it possible to manually trigger a manual download of an artifact (using the group:name:version notation) as part of a custom task?

I’d like to download a maven repo zip file and unpack as part of a pre integration test.

To add to the complexity, the version number of the artifact needs to be discovered based upon a transitive dependency of the project itself:

• org.springframework.data:spring-data-elasticsearch:3.0.8.RELEASE
    • org.elasticsearch:elasticsearch:5.6.9

I want to download org.elasticsearch.distribution.zip:elasticsearch:5.6.9:zip, but the version number (5.6.9) is defined within the spring-data-elasticsearch top level dependency (and i’d rather not hardcode the version)

I’ve made a simple method to discover the version using configurations.compile.resolvedConfiguration.resolvedArtifacts.find { ... }:

def getEsVersion() {
    return configurations.compile.resolvedConfiguration.resolvedArtifacts.find {
        return it.moduleVersion.id.group == 'org.elasticsearch' 
            && it.moduleVersion.id.name == 'elasticsearch'
    }.moduleVersion.id.version
}

I assume i need to interact with the repositories set, or the external resource resolver (hopefully pulling from the local repo after the first time its downloaded) - any ideas?

For some more context - i’d like to download the elasticsearch distribution zip as part of my integration tests setup, ensure its unzipped and start up a node for testing (yes, subjectively docker would be another / better solution).

Here’s what i’ve cobbled together that seems to work:

configurations {
    integTestZip
}

dependencies {
    compile('org.springframework.boot:spring-boot-starter')
    compile('org.elasticsearch:elasticsearch')
    testCompile('org.springframework.boot:spring-boot-starter-test')
    integTestZip "org.elasticsearch.distribution.zip:elasticsearch:${getEsVersion()}@zip"
}

def getEsVersion() {
    dependencyManagement.managedVersions['org.elasticsearch:elasticsearch']
}

task copyESZipFromDeps(type: Copy) {
    from configurations.integTestZip.singleFile
    into "${project.rootDir}/gradle/tools"
}