Does project.sync only support executing as owner?

I’m using project.sync to synchronize a source directory structure with a target directory structure. This is on a Linux machine. The user I’m executing as has user ownership of the source files, and group ownership of the target files. From a permission perspective, this should work. The problem is… it doesn’t.

Gradle wants to chmod 775 the target directory structure, which group ownership doesn’t support. As a matter of fact, on Linux… the only way (that I know of) to issue a chmod is to actually own the files. So by extension… Gradle has to own the target directory structure.

In theory… this seems like not that big of a deal. However, in this environment, the Jenkins user checks out the files, and the Gradle builds are done as a different user, because the builds are interacting with a running application, and Jenkins doesn’t have permission to interact with the application, so we use sudo for those bits.

I’ve tried using dirMode and fileMode but that has no effect. As a matter of fact… no matter what I set for those values, project.sync still does a chmod 775 as the first step.

I won’t give the entire stack trace… just the important bits:

Caused by: org.gradle.api.GradleException: Could not copy file

Caused by: org.gradle.internal.nativeintegration.filesystem.FileException: Could not set file mode 775

Caused by: net.rubygrapefruit.platform.NativeException: Could not set UNIX mode

Sorry… sample task configuration:

task testSync {
  doLast {
    project.sync {
      from 'source'
      into 'target'
    }
  }
}