Custom task with nested Enum causes UncheckedIOException (Could not read entry from cache taskArtifacts.bin)

I have implemented the following custom task which uses a nested enum: https://gist.github.com/abeggchr/b338d827312a67526cac

When executing an instance of this task (for the second time), the following exception is thrown:

org.gradle.api.UncheckedIOException: Could not read entry ':problem' from cache taskArtifacts.bin (/home/sam/Downloads/UncheckedIOException/.gradle/2.0/taskArtifacts/taskArtifacts.bin).
 at org.gradle.cache.internal.btree.BTreePersistentIndexedCache.get(BTreePersistentIndexedCache.java:129)
 at org.gradle.cache.internal.DefaultMultiProcessSafePersistentIndexedCache$1.create(DefaultMultiProcessSafePersistentIndexedCache.java:37)
Caused by: java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: com.mine.tasks.TaskWithEnum$Language
 at org.gradle.internal.io.ClassLoaderObjectInputStream.resolveClass(ClassLoaderObjectInputStream.java:40)
 at org.gradle.messaging.serialize.DefaultSerializer.read(DefaultSerializer.java:45)
 at org.gradle.messaging.serialize.MapSerializer.read(MapSerializer.java:37)
 at org.gradle.api.internal.changedetection.state.InputPropertiesSerializer.read(InputPropertiesSerializer.java:35)

Deleting the “.gradle” directory only helps for the first build after the deletion. The second build will fail again.

Refactoring the Enum to a separate file (i.e. com.mine.tasks.Language) does not help either: The same UncheckedIOException caused by ClassNotFoundException is thrown.

Hi, 

This is GRADLE-2771.

What you can do is store the input as a string. You can remove the @Input from the enum and add another package scope method (not sure if private works) with @Input that returns the toString() of the enum.