Can Get Plugin Classes in Classpath When Using "apply from"?

(ambcloses) #1

Hello,

I’m developing a Gradle Plugin. I have some Groovy classes defined in my plugin. I built the jar for my plugin and am using it in a different project. In my other project, my build.gradle file looks like:

buildscript {
  repositories {
    // point to my jar file
  }
  dependencies {
    classpath group: 'myGroupName', name: 'myPluginJarName', version: '1.0.0'
  }
}
  apply plugin: 'myPlugin'
apply from: 'otherFile.gradle'

Now in my plugin, I have the class Foo defined in Groovy. If I try to use class Foo at the end of my build.gradle file, it works fine. However, if I try to use foo in otherFile.gradle, I get “unable to resolve class Foo”. It seems that the buildscript classpath isn’t being applied when you use “apply from:”. Is there a workaround for this?

In otherFile.gradle, I have:

def bar = new Foo(); // You get "unable to resolve class Foo". If you put this at the end of build.gradle (and remove the apply from line), it works.

Thanks, Alex

(Luke Daley) #2

Hi Alex,

For the most part, ‘buildscript {}’ defines the classpath just for that particular script. The exception here is that ‘buildscript {}’ in project build scripts (e.g. ‘build.gradle’) is propagated to child projects. Script plugins (i.e. 'apply from: “«»”) do not participate in this inheritance.

It depends on exactly what you need to do, but the simplest solution in your case might be to move the ‘buildscript {}’ section to ‘otherFile.gradle’.

(ambcloses) #3

Yes, that worked. I have apply plugin: ‘myPlugin’ only in my build.gradle file, but I have buildscript { } blocks in both files, so that the classpath is set correctly in both files. Thanks!