BOMs broken (java-platforms) for non transitive (e.g. ear deploy) configurations?

I have a multi project build that depends on artifacts from another multi project build. So I used the java-platform plugin on the parent to create a BOM that can be consumed by the modules/subprojects of the 2nd project without messing around with the version numbers.

This works great for the configurations in java and war projects, but I can not get it to work for ear projects. The problem is, that although I add the platform dependency to the deploy configuration - it does not resolve any versions (die earlib platform dependency works).

plugins {
    id 'ear'
}
dependencies {
    earlib platform(project(':')) // adding bom with version constraints
    deploy platform(project(':')) // adding bom with version constraints

earlib 'commons-lang:commons-lang' // this works
    deploy 'commons-logging:commons-logging' // this fails with missing version
}

I’ve created a reproducer project just in case one wants to try it out:

Update:
I’ve narrowed the problem down to the deploy configuration to be not transitive:

every other custom configuration that is transitive=false does not resolve BOM versions too (I’ll update the referenced reproducer project), but here is the relevant snippet that does the trick:

configurations {
    myNonTransitiveConf {
        transitive = false
    }
}
dependencies {
    myNonTransitiveConf  platform(':')
    myNonTransitiveConf  'commons-lang:commons-lang'
}

Is there any workaround or does this need a gradle core fix?

I too have run into the issue that the gradle BOM platform() doesn’t seem to work for configurations that are not transitive. Is this intentional?

I’m facing the same issue with gradle 6.8.2.
Any news on this topic?

My Issue has simply been closed transitive=false configurations do not resolve java-platform versions · Issue #11030 · gradle/gradle · GitHub.
Feel free to open a new one, maybe the tides will change as more users request this bug/feature.

Just opened #18129 as a feature request.