Applying a plugin by id in settings.gradle

I’m running into a minor problem, when applying a plugin in ‘settings.gradle’, running Gradle 1.8. When I apply it like this:

apply plugin: 'my-plugin'
  buildscript {
    repositories.maven { url 'http://11.22.33.44/artifactory/plugins' }
    dependencies.classpath 'com.mycompany:myplugins:1.0.0'
}

I get this error:

* What went wrong:
A problem occurred evaluating settings 'main'.
> Plugin with id 'my-plugin' not found.
  * Try:
Run with --info or --debug option to get more log output.
  * Exception is:
org.gradle.api.GradleScriptException: A problem occurred evaluating settings 'main'.
        at org.gradle.groovy.scripts.internal.DefaultScriptRunnerFactory$ScriptRunnerImpl.run(DefaultScriptRunnerFactory.java:54)
        at org.gradle.configuration.DefaultScriptPluginFactory$ScriptPluginImpl.apply(DefaultScriptPluginFactory.java:132)
        at org.gradle.initialization.ScriptEvaluatingSettingsProcessor.applySettingsScript(ScriptEvaluatingSettingsProcessor.java:64)
        [...]
        at org.gradle.launcher.bootstrap.ProcessBootstrap.run(ProcessBootstrap.java:32)
        at org.gradle.launcher.GradleMain.main(GradleMain.java:23)
Caused by: org.gradle.api.plugins.UnknownPluginException: Plugin with id 'my-plugin' not found.
        at org.gradle.api.internal.plugins.DefaultPluginRegistry.getTypeForId(DefaultPluginRegistry.java:82)
        at org.gradle.api.internal.plugins.DefaultPluginContainer.getTypeForId(DefaultPluginContainer.java:99)
        at org.gradle.api.internal.plugins.DefaultPluginContainer.apply(DefaultPluginContainer.java:34)
        at org.gradle.api.internal.plugins.DefaultObjectConfigurationAction.applyPlugin(DefaultObjectConfigurationAction.java:101)
        at org.gradle.api.internal.plugins.DefaultObjectConfigurationAction.access$200(DefaultObjectConfigurationAction.java:32)
        at org.gradle.api.internal.plugins.DefaultObjectConfigurationAction$3.run(DefaultObjectConfigurationAction.java:72)
        at org.gradle.api.internal.plugins.DefaultObjectConfigurationAction.execute(DefaultObjectConfigurationAction.java:114)
        at org.gradle.groovy.scripts.DefaultScript.apply(DefaultScript.java:91)
        at org.gradle.api.Script$apply.callCurrent(Unknown Source)
        at settings_6m70vs06evv92jp7124mju1vbd.run(C:\Data\p4workspace\COMMON\core.3\settings.gradle:1)
        at org.gradle.groovy.scripts.internal.DefaultScriptRunnerFactory$ScriptRunnerImpl.run(DefaultScriptRunnerFactory.java:52)
        ... 29 more

The ‘META-INF/gradle-plugins/my-plugin.properties’ file seems to be fine, and when I use the class name, it works:

apply plugin: com.mycompany.MyPlugin

In the same Jar I have a couple of plugins that are applied to ‘Project’, and all of them work as expected.

Hey,

Did you try to apply this plugin in a regular build.gradle file?

I thought about this a bit more.

I haven’t seen a use case for applying plugins in settings.gradle, yet. Typical Gradle plugin is an object that is a applied to a ‘project’ instance (e.g. implements Plugin) . In settings.gradle, there’s no ‘project’ instance yet, because the it’s the settings.gradle that defines the projects.

You can try writing the plugin that implements Plugin and apply it in the settings.gradle. I cannot try it out right now and I’m not sure if that’s what you want.

The bottom line is that you cannot use a regular plugin in settings.gradle because regular plugin are intended to be applied to ‘project’ instances.

Hope that helps!

Hi Tilo, I was able to reproduce this issue. It seems that applying a plugin by id does only work when resolved from the buildSrc project. I’ve raised GRADLE-2914. As a workaround you should apply the plugin by class for now.

thanks for reporting!

cheers, René

For a use case for aplying plugins in settings gradle:

http://forums.gradle.org/gradle/topics/while_we_are_waiting_for_plugins_in_settings_gradle

http://issues.gradle.org/browse/GRADLE-2066

i.e. the use case is that we would like to add conventional patterns to how multi-project builds are configured. We have a third party application framework with its own concept of projects, its own way of generating classpaths, etc etc. We then have a ‘plugin’ which gets executed in settings.gradle and which creates a multi-project structure mirroring the third party project structure in gradle.

AFAIK, the only place to set up multi-project structures in gradle is settings.gradle, thus this code would have to get executed there.

Thank you for the quick reply, everyone!

My use case is the one described by Matias:

• We have a large number of projects: P1, P2, …, PN * For every customer we deploy a different combination of those projects in our data center. For example customer 1 might get P1 and P2, and customer 2 might get P2 and P3. We also have a nice way to look up the projects needed by a customer programmatically. * Now, I’m in the process of writing a custom settings-plugin, and then I want to create a root project for every customer. These root projects will use the plugin to determine what projects are needed and where they are in the filesystem. Basically, this will be a bipartite graph with root projects on one side connected to projects that implement functionality on the other side.