A task in a shared build script (and that task needs external dependencies) can't resolve its dependencies

(Martin Ahrer) #1

I have a build script ‘build.gradle’ than contains the following working task definition:

buildscript {
    dependencies {
        classpath(group: 'org.ajoberstar', name: 'gradle-git', version: '0.6.3')
    }
}
  import org.ajoberstar.gradle.git.tasks.*
  task gitTag(type: GitTag) {
    tagName = "release/$version"
    message = "Release of ${version}"
}

Note: I do have a repository section in the buildscript closure but stripped it as it contains credentials, etc.

I want to move this to a sharable build script ‘gradle/gradle-git.gradle’(for creating a plugin later). As I do that and run ‘gradle gitTag’ gradle complains with ‘Could not find org.ajoberstar:gradle-git:0.6.3’.

I have tried various attempts to fix this in build.gradle by adding:

buildscript {
    apply from: "$rootDir/gradle/gradle-git.gradle"
}
apply from: "$rootDir/gradle/gradle-git.gradle"

Also I tried to move ‘gradle/gradle-git.gradle’ to ‘buildSrc/build.gradle’ but that didn’t substantially change my situation.

I didn’t find the user guide very clear on that. Do I have to publish this as a standalone plugin or can I still keep that just in a separate script? My build script already grows fairly big and I need to start working towards plugins. Yet I can’t take the effort to create standalone plugins (unless this is the only way).

I’m working with Gradle 1.10.

(Peter Niederwieser) #2

It’s a known limitation. The ‘buildscript’ block needs to go into the build script that applies the script plugin (or at least into the root project’s build script).

Classpath used for tasks from an external plugin defined in a script plugin