Windows:- General error during parsing: Did not find four digit hex character code

Very new to Gradle, in fact only downloaded it half an hour ago. but hit an issue straight off.

I’m running on windows and suspect that this issue will only ever occur on M$ operating systems (yes my bad for using it but…)

so having

gradle setupBuild

in a new directory I now have a set of default *.gradle files.

Next step list the tasks so

gradle tasks

the results are as follows

FAILURE: Build failed with an exception.
  • Where: Build file ‘C:\Users\nick\workspace\senchaBDD\build.gradle’

• What went wrong: Could not compile build file ‘C:\Users\nick\workspace\senchaBDD\build.gradle’. > startup failed:

General error during parsing: Did not find four digit hex character code. line: 7 col:67

groovyjarjarantlr.TokenStreamIOException: Did not find four digit hex character code. line: 7 col:67

at org.codehaus.groovy.antlr.parser.GroovyLexer.nextToken(GroovyLexer.java:723)

at org.codehaus.groovy.antlr.parser.GroovyLexer$1.nextToken(GroovyLexer.java:258)

at groovyjarjarantlr.TokenBuffer.fill(TokenBuffer.java:69)

at groovyjarjarantlr.TokenBuffer.LA(TokenBuffer.java:80)

at groovyjarjarantlr.LLkParser.LA(LLkParser.java:52)

at org.codehaus.groovy.antlr.parser.GroovyRecognizer.compilationUnit(GroovyRecognizer.java:498) … After some puzzling I found a Google article referring to miss use of ‘\u’ to define extended characters, I was reasonably sure that there wouldn’t be any included by default but I opened build.gradle and settings.gradle to look and what did I find?

settings.gradle

/*
 * Detailed information about configuring a multiproject build in Gradle can be found at
 * C:\gradle-1.6\docs\userguide\multi_project_builds.html
*/

build.gradle

/*
 * This generated file contains an out - commented sample java project
 * to get you started. For a quick start with Gradle have a look at the Java Quickstart
 * chapter in the Gradle Userguide available at C:\gradle-1.6\docs\userguide\tutorial_java_projects.html
*/

So the use of the windows directory seperator ‘’ and the directory name userguide causes the parser to think it’s about to have a Hex value.

Deleting both file names allows Gradle to correctly operate.

Hope this helps anyone else struggling on windows, sorry if this has been posted before but I couldn’t find it. Maybe I’m the only Windows user out there :slight_smile:

Nick©