Will this work under OpenBSD?

I couldn’t find anything one way or the other so I tried it. OpenBSD 5.2, dual-core laptop with 2 gigs of RAM, 700 meg swap, jdk 1.7. I had set -Xmx512m because the default failed and 128 wasn’t enough. I did gradlew build and it ran for 1 hour 40 minutes and was 99% successful. I was watching top and I ran out of swap. I added 1 gig and tried again, still didn’t finish. This was Gradle 2.3.

My failed tests were:

DefaultFileLockContentionHandlerTest. can receive request for lock that is already closed

DefaultFileLockContentionHandlerTest. manages contention for multiple locks

DefaultExecHandleSpec. forks process

Could this still be a problem with not enough RAM? I don’t know anything about Gradle, not much about Java but I used it for about a year 10 years ago. I was hoping to build Android APKs this way. Is there any cookbook fix for the failed tests above? Is this related to locking files at an OS level?

Is your goal to use Gradle on OpenBSD? or build Gradle on OpenBSD? We know that some users do use OpenBSD.

It’s feasible that those tests are failing due to resource constraints. It’s impossible to say without details on the actual failures.

My goal is to use Gradle under OpenBSD to build Android APK files. I’m not sure that Gradle’s the shortest path to doing that, I’m also downloading Android Tools. There’s an Eclipse in OpenBSD ports but it’s too old. I already had an Ant installed.

The output from a build attempt is at https://gist.github.com/ab1jx/bfa8a12fc7f4f101f84d, I should probably run it again with the debug option or do a stacktrace, I’m not sure what.

I’m retired, I’m doing this for fun.

Gradle is indeed the build system of choice for Android applications. You don’t need to build Gradle in order to do this though. As Gradle is implemented in Java, and ships in binary form, you just need a JDK implementation on your operating system.

I’d recommend finding an Android oriented tutorial for getting started. Alternatively, if you want to play around with Gradle you can follow the instruction information at http://gradle.org/docs/current/userguide/installation.html