Kotlin DSL Jar Compile Error: Exception in thread "main" java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError

Hey everyone. I have been struggling to fix this issue. There’s a bug in my build.gradle.kts that I can’t fix. I have tried implementing kotlin std lib, tried applying idea and application plugins but still nothing worked for me. Tried messing around with the jar script and made it like this but it didn’t fix my error:

tasks.withType<Jar>() {
    manifest {
        attributes["Main-Class"] = "MainKt"
    }

from(sourceSets.main.get().output)
    from(configurations.runtime.get().map { if (it.isDirectory) { it } else { zipTree((it)) }})
}

My file structure looks like this:

I have literally tried everything. Here’s my stacktrace

Exception in thread "main" java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: kotlin/jvm/internal/Intrinsics
        at MainKt.main(Main.kt)
Caused by: java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: kotlin.jvm.internal.Intrinsics
        at java.base/jdk.internal.loader.BuiltinClassLoader.loadClass(BuiltinClassLoader.java:636)
        at java.base/jdk.internal.loader.ClassLoaders$AppClassLoader.loadClass(ClassLoaders.java:182)
        at java.base/java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(ClassLoader.java:519)
        ... 1 more

I have searched the whole internet from the ground up and still couldn’t find answers to my question.

Here’s the full code of build.gradle.kts

import org.jetbrains.kotlin.gradle.tasks.KotlinCompile

plugins {
    kotlin("jvm") version "1.5.10"
}

version = "0.0.1-SNAPSHOT"
group = "HIDDEN"

repositories {
    mavenCentral()
}

dependencies {
    testImplementation(kotlin("test"))
    implementation("com.google.code.gson:gson:2.8.7")
    // implementation("org.jetbrains.kotlin:kotlin-stdlib-jdk8:1.5.0")
}

tasks.test {
    useJUnit()
}

tasks.withType<Jar>() {
    manifest {
        attributes["Main-Class"] = "MainKt"
    }

from(sourceSets.main.get().output)
    from(configurations.runtime.get().map { if (it.isDirectory) { it } else { zipTree((it)) }})
}

tasks.withType<KotlinCompile>() {
    kotlinOptions.jvmTarget = "1.8"
}

Any help will be highly appreciated.
Thank you.

My question has been resolved. I have added the application plugin to my project and ran ./gradlew installDist and everything worked fine. I also had the possibility to run my app using ./gradlew run or even use the shadow plugin which would generate a JAR with all the dependencies in it.

Thanks to Kotlin community on Slack.
Link to conversation on Slack