ExpandoMetaClass.enableGlobally() causes error in Gradle internals

(Thor Kummer) #1

I have a library that depends on adding functionality to types like String and List and requires enableGlobally to be called on the ExpandoMetaClass. If I do that I get the exception below when running the build.

Is this a known limitation of Gradle?

org.gradle.api.GradleScriptException: A problem occurred evaluating root project 'b-one-crm'.
 at org.gradle.groovy.scripts.DefaultScriptRunnerFactory$ScriptRunnerImpl.run(DefaultScriptRunnerFactory.java:51)
 at org.gradle.configuration.DefaultScriptPluginFactory$ScriptPluginImpl.apply(DefaultScriptPluginFactory.java:127)
 at org.gradle.configuration.BuildScriptProcessor.evaluate(BuildScriptProcessor.java:38)
 at org.gradle.configuration.DefaultProjectEvaluator.evaluate(DefaultProjectEvaluator.java:38)
 at org.gradle.api.internal.project.AbstractProject.evaluate(AbstractProject.java:487)
 at org.gradle.api.internal.project.AbstractProject.evaluate(AbstractProject.java:71)
 at org.gradle.configuration.ProjectEvaluationConfigurer.execute(ProjectEvaluationConfigurer.java:23)
 at org.gradle.configuration.ProjectEvaluationConfigurer.execute(ProjectEvaluationConfigurer.java:21)
 at org.gradle.configuration.DefaultBuildConfigurer$1.execute(DefaultBuildConfigurer.java:38)
 at org.gradle.configuration.DefaultBuildConfigurer$1.execute(DefaultBuildConfigurer.java:35)
 at org.gradle.api.internal.project.AbstractProject.configure(AbstractProject.java:463)
 at org.gradle.api.internal.project.AbstractProject.allprojects(AbstractProject.java:458)
 at org.gradle.configuration.DefaultBuildConfigurer.configure(DefaultBuildConfigurer.java:35)
 at org.gradle.initialization.DefaultGradleLauncher.doBuildStages(DefaultGradleLauncher.java:141)
 at org.gradle.initialization.DefaultGradleLauncher.doBuild(DefaultGradleLauncher.java:112)
 at org.gradle.initialization.DefaultGradleLauncher.run(DefaultGradleLauncher.java:80)
 at org.gradle.launcher.RunBuildAction.execute(RunBuildAction.java:41)
 at org.gradle.launcher.RunBuildAction.execute(RunBuildAction.java:27)
 at org.gradle.launcher.ExceptionReportingAction.execute(ExceptionReportingAction.java:32)
 at org.gradle.launcher.ExceptionReportingAction.execute(ExceptionReportingAction.java:21)
 at org.gradle.launcher.CommandLineActionFactory$WithLoggingAction.execute(CommandLineActionFactory.java:219)
 at org.gradle.launcher.CommandLineActionFactory$WithLoggingAction.execute(CommandLineActionFactory.java:203)
 at org.gradle.launcher.Main.execute(Main.java:55)
 at org.gradle.launcher.Main.main(Main.java:40)
 at org.gradle.launcher.ProcessBootstrap.runNoExit(ProcessBootstrap.java:46)
 at org.gradle.launcher.ProcessBootstrap.run(ProcessBootstrap.java:28)
 at org.gradle.launcher.GradleMain.main(GradleMain.java:24)
Caused by: groovy.lang.MissingMethodException: No signature of method: org.gradle.api.internal.artifacts.dsl.dependencies.DefaultDependencyHandler.fileTree() is applicable for argument types: (org.codehaus.groovy.runtime.GStringImpl) values: [/home/tk/workspace/com.one.crm/b-one-crm/dependent-jars]
 at org.gradle.api.internal.artifacts.dsl.dependencies.DefaultDependencyHandler.methodMissing(DefaultDependencyHandler.groovy:81)
 at org.gradle.api.internal.artifacts.dsl.dependencies.DefaultDependencyHandler.invokeMethod(DefaultDependencyHandler.groovy)
 at build_uad1vfubd7eikgsgomrlujmlb$_run_closure20_closure82.doCall(/home/tk/workspace/com.one.crm/b-one-crm/build.gradle:174)
 at org.gradle.util.ConfigureUtil.configure(ConfigureUtil.java:61)
 at org.gradle.util.ConfigureUtil.configure(ConfigureUtil.java:31)
 at org.gradle.api.internal.project.AbstractProject.dependencies(AbstractProject.java:893)
 at build_uad1vfubd7eikgsgomrlujmlb$_run_closure20.doCall(/home/tk/workspace/com.one.crm/b-one-crm/build.gradle:173)
 at org.gradle.util.ConfigureUtil.configure(ConfigureUtil.java:61)
 at org.gradle.util.ConfigureUtil.configure(ConfigureUtil.java:31)
 at org.gradle.api.internal.project.AbstractProject.configure(AbstractProject.java:874)
 at org.gradle.api.internal.project.AbstractProject.configure(AbstractProject.java:879)
 at org.gradle.api.internal.BeanDynamicObject.invokeMethod(BeanDynamicObject.java:158)
 at org.gradle.api.internal.CompositeDynamicObject.invokeMethod(CompositeDynamicObject.java:93)
 at org.gradle.api.internal.project.DefaultProject_Decorated.invokeMethod(Unknown Source)
 at org.gradle.groovy.scripts.BasicScript.methodMissing(BasicScript.groovy:68)
 at build_uad1vfubd7eikgsgomrlujmlb.run(/home/tk/workspace/com.one.crm/b-one-crm/build.gradle:159)
 at org.gradle.groovy.scripts.DefaultScriptRunnerFactory$ScriptRunnerImpl.run(DefaultScriptRunnerFactory.java:49)
 ... 26 more

(Peter Niederwieser) #2

Are you using your library in the build script? Can you post the build script, especially the part that causes the exception (around line 174, use of fileTree())?

(Thor Kummer) #3

I’ve isolated the problem down to this:

// ExpandoMetaClass.enableGlobally()

configure(subprojects) {

dependencies {

fileTree("$rootProject.projectDir/dependent-jars").include('*.jar').each {

}

}

}  

Running gradle -t with the enableGlobally call commented out runs ok but if it is commented in I get:

Build file '/home/tk/workspace/com.one.crm/b-one-crm/build.gradle' line: 6

* What went wrong:  A problem occurred evaluating root project 'b-one-crm'.  Cause: No signature of method: org.gradle.api.internal.artifacts.dsl.dependencies.DefaultDependencyHandler.fileTree() is applicable for argument types: (org.codehaus.groovy.runtime.GStringImpl) values: [/home/tk/workspace/com.one.crm/b-one-crm/dependent-jars]  

(Peter Niederwieser) #4

You forgot to specify a configuration like “compile” before “fileTree”. Maybe that will solve the problem.

(Thor Kummer) #5

I should be able to iterate over a filetree inside a dependency closure regardless, or? My original code was:

dependencies {
        fileTree("$rootProject.projectDir/dependent-jars").include('*.jar').each {
            compile ":${it.name[0..-5]}::"
        }
    }

I removed the compile because it didn’t have any effect on the error.

I noticed that my cut-down example actually works if I run it in a clean directory, but not if I run it in my project directory. I’ll try to work around this by rewriting the library to use categories rather than expandometaclass.